Human suffering due to cancer and the plight of the cancer patients
inspired a spirited young gynecologist and a campaigner for cancer
treatment and research Dr. Subodh Mitra to organize a cancer treatment
and research centre in Calcutta as there were no such specialized
centre during that time. With the help and support of Dr. B.C. Roy,
an eminent physician and the then Chief Minister of West Bengal,
the foundation of the present day Chittaranjan Cancer Hospital (CCH)
was laid. The hospital was formally inaugurated by Prof. Madam J.
Curie in January 2, 1950 and named after Deshbandhu Chittranjan
Das, as a tribute to and in acknowledgement of the enormous donation
of his land and property for the cause. Initially this was a cancer
treatment centre, which gradually expanded its activities into basic
and clinical research with the assistance from government funding
organizations. This eventually led to the founding of the Chittaranjan
National Cancer Research Centre (CNCRC), funded by the Government
of India in 1957, which was committed to basic research on cancer.